Monday, October 02, 2006

Chuggin' along

I leave in 1 week. I can't believe I've been here over 2 months and suddenly I'm getting ready to go. I will miss it here. I've taken some things for granted, but also appreciated my friends and family who have helped me through this awful experience. I will be spending much of my 35 hour train ride journaling, reading, and watching movies on my portable DVD player, though apparently the train has a movie theater? Read on...

The West Coast Experience
Considered to be one of the most beautiful of all train routes, the Coast Starlight connects the hottest cities on America's West Coast. En route daily between Seattle and Los Angeles, the Coast Starlight passes through Portland, Eugene, Sacramento, the San Francisco Bay Area and Santa Barbara.

The scenery along the Coast Starlight route is unparalleled: snow-covered mountains, dense forests, fertile valleys and long stretches of Pacific Ocean shoreline provide a gorgeous backdrop for your journey.

And there are many places to stop and visit along the route. Get away to Paso Robles, where you can tour one of over 48 wineries or relax in the natural hot springs. Head to San Luis Obispo to climb the enchanted hill to Hearst Castle. Leave your heart in spectacular San Francisco. Or just stop and smell the roses in Portland.

Exclusive Amenities
Roomette and Bedroom passengers enjoy access to the Pacific Parlour Car, a private lounge featuring a library and games, afternoon wine tasting, plus a movie theater below. If you're traveling with little ones, they'll love the fun and games available just for them in the Kiddie Car.

All passengers enjoy floor-to-celing windows in the Sightseer Lounge—the perfect spot for taking in the magnificient scenery.

Trails & Rails
As part of the Trails & Rails program, National Park Service guides from the
Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park are onboard the Coast Starlight between Seattle and Portland and Klamath Falls and Eugene.

Trails & Rails is an innovative partnership program between Amtrak and the National Park Service. This program provides educational opportunities to Amtrak passengers for the purpose of fostering appreciation of America's natural and cultural heritage. More information is available at the Trails & Rails Partnership web site.

For more information, please download the Coast Starlight Route Guide.

I guess I should mention that I got a roomette. Hooray for wine tasting and movies on the train! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your trip (which will take much more than 35 hours, trust me), and if you haven't yet, upgrade to the Roomette, it's entirely worth it. Free meals, wine tasting, and access to the theater and private lounge are nothing compared to the peace and quiet of your own private room. And that way you won't have to scrounge for a power outlet for your DVD player. Kat and I got one for the trip back up from Klamath Falls last spring, and it's awesome. Totally worth the upgrade price!