Note: I used one can of kidney beans and one can of great northern beans. Also, I cooked the chili for about 30 minutes instead of 20.
Butternut Squash and Turkey Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 pound butternut squash - peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can white hominy, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook and stir for 3 minutes, then add the turkey, and stir until crumbly and no longer pink.
- Add the butternut squash, chicken broth, green chilies, tomatoes, kidney beans, hominy, and tomato sauce; season with chili powder, cumin, and garlic salt. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the squash is tender, about 20 minutes.