Friday, July 13, 2007

I'm a dork, but I'm a cute dork!

Oh ok, fine, I admit it, I've joined my first D&D campaign. And you know what? I really enjoy it. There are many things happening that I didn't associate with role playing:

1. I'm not up all night. Sessions are only 3 or 4 hours long once a week with good friends.
2. Healthy snacks from now on. No more chips and dip, or $30 worth of cookies from the bakery!
3. Dinner that I don't have to cook. Since we meet at Don and Cindy's place, Cindy cooks and I assist.
4. Extra time with my hubby!

I have fought playing for a long time. I'm not sure why, but it's very fun to see how cute Matt is when he talks to me about role playing. He's thrilled that I've taken an interest in something he's been passionate about for so long, which makes it totally worthwhile. :)

The only downfalls are that Matt picks me up right from work so I don't get to go home until late at night (around 11pm which means a very long day for me), and I'm totally exhausted on Fridays, which are my busiest days. But hey, it's just a few hours until the weekend begins so it's not that bad. The math is the other thing that bugs me. It's just going to take me awhile to get used to what to apply to and when....there's a lot more to RP'ing than I thought!

Cindy best describes on her blog what the session was like last night. It was a longer session than I anticipated, but it certainly was an adventure!

I'm really excited about this gaming group. For the first time in a while ... actually maybe for the first time ever ... I think we have a group that is more intellectually strategic than battle heavy. In our group of 5 players, we have an elf cleric (divine magic/healer), a half-elf favoured soul (divine magic/healer #2), a half-elf rogue (sneaky and stealthy but quite squishy), a half-drow sorcerer/warrior (magic user with big nasty axe), and a Warforged Knight (Damage dealer but too honorable to play dirty). I think it will be interesting trying to solve our challenges creatively rather than just running in with our swords and killing everything in sight. On the other hand, we did almost have a total party wipe out last night from just two mangy rats. True, they weren't just any rats, they were horrid rats, but still how embarrassing would it have been if we were taken out by a couple of rodents before we had even accomplished our first mission. Last night we achieved our first objective, scored big on lots treasure, and several of us leveled as well. Leveling is exciting when you are playing a magic user because you get to cast more spells per day!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Ha ha ha! You are one of us now! Yes, the math is complicated and takes a while to figure it out. But that's why you have a DM. You just say, "I want to do this," and he tells you how to do it. Fun! Fun! Fun! I can't wait for more :)