Friday, August 11, 2006

Happy Birthday!

To me! Okay, so selfishly I really wanted Mom to stick out the day, and she did. She the oxygen plug in her nose, which means she's not working so hard to breathe. She almost passed today. It was so frightening and I was so mad. Not at her, just at the circumstances. There was about 10 minutes where we all just watched her breathe, wondering if that last breath was truly her last. Then she shook, and "re-booted" herself. She's still hanging on. We just take it one day at a time, and I am still hoping that she'll make it for my parents 35th wedding anniversary on the 14th, which is Monday.

I didn't expect presents today. Dad came in and said that he was sorry that he didn't have time to shop, but what did I want? I told him I wanted an I-Pod, so my cousin took me to the Apple store today, and I got one. It is SO COOL! Other gifts included a fabulous homemade chocolate cake from Keith, a photo album that Katie made for me that's all pictures of me and Mom, a book by St. Francis of Assisi from Kari, Wonderwoman T from Brie and Steve, glass from Aunt Diane, some FABOO lotion from Aunt Gwen, and a new kitty tile and pj's from Aunt Sharon, oh, and Season 4 of the Golden Girls on DVD from Matt :) . Perhaps the greatest gift of all is from Aunt Muriel, who has taken my place beside my mom, caring for her and helping with meds and bodily functions - stuff that I just can't bring myself to do - she is wonderful. We had a lovely celebration outside, with that chocolate cake and 28 candles (that I blew out in one breath) and champagne. Despite the circumstances, it was a wonderful birthday.

Matt went to GenCon, was there for one day, and flew home today. He will miss all the premieres. He says its just a movie and that there will be more. But good news - there's discussion of possible distribution AND the first premiere, which was tonight, was a huge hit. Congrats, honey! I am so proud of you!

No comments: