Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Alanis Phenomenon

I was on my way home from class tonight when I turned on the radio and Miss Alanis' voice filled my speakers. It's an interesting story how I found out about her when I was an angsty (is that even a word?) teen. My Uncle Gregg gave me her CD for Christmas and asked if I had ever heard of her. I said "NO" in my one-word teen like way and he acted as though I had just slapped him across the face. He said she was the hottest artist and I simply had to listen to her. So I did. Over and over again. My favorite being "You Learn."

I still have the CD but I don't listen to it any more. The phenomenon, I believe, is that I can go months, even years, without hearing those songs on that CD, and I still know every single word.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I listened to this CD over and over, first when I didn't get a lead in Camelot (although I was a featured dancer and pranced around in a fairy costume with my girlfriends, infinately more fun in the end). The second time around when my high school sweetheart ignored me after starting school in Indiana. But I dumped him at Thanksgiving, the bitch.

And did you call me the other day?