Friday, November 09, 2007

Inspired by someone I barely know

About a year and a half ago, my friend Celena introduced me to a wonderful workout called Bikram Yoga. I fell in love with it almost immediately, despite the naseua from the heat and the sore muscles the next day (later I found out it's one the poses that makes me feel ill, so I just started skipping that particular step until I felt stronger). Anyway, I recently found a blog written by an old aquaintance and theater buff I knew in college (what does SB mean?). I found out that she practices Bikram Yoga too! I thought to myself "If she can do it, so can I. She commutes from Tacoma to the eastside every day, for petes sake. And remember it helped you lose 10 pounds in 6 weeks?"

So I am going to commit to Bikram again. Twice a week - once after work and once on the weekends. They say you have to go twice a week minimum to get the maximum results and I can do that. The closest studio has a session late at night that I really enjoyed. There's also one in Studio City that has a session at 10pm, which my manager goes to. I told her next time she goes to let me know so that I could join her and experience a new place.

Now this yoga costs moolah. And we don't have a lot of it. I've been spending my allowance on eating out to lunch everyday, keeping it as cheap and as healthy as possible. If I'm to start yoga, I must find an alternative. I have found a room in our office that is not being used, has a great view of the lot and the park, and has no phone! I can easily eat in there and read a book. I'm also going to research nearby parks for when I have the car and need to escape. I'll allow myself to eat out on Thursdays, and maybe a Friday or two.

Save money and get healthy at the same time. I can do this!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Camille, I wanted to share a tip that has worked for me. When I'm trying to save money by not eating out, a lot of times I will bring my lunch and eat at my desk but as soon as I'm finished eating go out to my car and read a book for the rest of my break. It really helps me to actually get out of the office and have uninterrupted break time. And, if the book I'm reading is particularly good, I find that I really don't want to waste the time to have to go to a restaurant and wait on food to be prepared because it takes away from the precious minutes I have to indulge in reading!

ZestyJenny said...

Yay for Bikram! YOU have inspired ME to avoid slacking! I HAVE to go afterall, I inspired someone else, you know?

I never feel badly about money spent on yoga. Is there anything more worth spending money on than your health?

We are also in a spending freeze and I am limiting eating out and getting coffee, but strangely enough, I am sort of enjoying it. It makes me appreciate it so much more when I treat myself. I used to stop for coffee on the way to work EVERY day. Now I am only stopping on Thursdays and it seems so special.

Alicia said...

And just for when you're back in town ... ya know, to taunt you and such ... there IS a Bikram yoga place on 6th Ave. now. :)